Friday, January 22, 2010

I SAW IT: The Love Guru

The Love Guru (2008)
starring Mike Myers, Jessica Alba, and Justin Timberlake

You know what's ridiculous? This movie!


It got some pretty bad ratings but I actually found it funnier than a lot of comedies out in recent years. The basic premise of the movie is as follows: Mike Myers plays Guru Pitka, also known as The Love Guru. He is always trying to outdo his rival and childhood friend, Deepak Chopra. He tries to gain celebrity by getting an appearance on Oprah and counseling one of the Toronto Maple Leafs on how to win his wife back. To me, that is a winning storyline. Most likely because I love the Leafs, I love Mike Myers, the Leafs coach is a midget in the movie, and Justin Timberlake plays the well-endowed French goalie of the Los Angeles Kings.

(See below and just try and tell me that picture is not hilarious. Just try.)


WINNING storyline for sure. Jessica Alba also stars in it and I even thought she didn't do too bad of an acting job. Oh, and there is a special appearance by Kanye West.... who would have guessed? Probably half the population as he's well-known for his guest appearances now. A little bit of romance, a lot of comedy, and a midget. Can't beat that.

I don't think it should have gotten an Oscar or anything.
But I think it deserves a worthy 3/5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment